While May is almost over, it shouldn’t go without mention that this month is Better Hearing & Speech Month!
Here are some quick facts about hearing loss and related issues:
- Hearing loss affects 36 million people in the United States
- Tinnitus (ringing, buzzing, or crickets in the ears) can be a symptom of hearing loss or of a medical problem and should be investigated
- Hearing instruments help 80% of individuals with tinnitus
- Signs of hearing loss: people mumble, hard to hear in noisy places, TV is too loud, people have to repeat for you, limiting social activities
- Untreated hearing loss leads to: less social activity, more depression, more anxiety, decreased ability to understand speech over time
In future blog posts, we will explore some of these issues more in-depth. If you suspect a hearing loss or if you experience tinnitus, an audiological evaluation can be the first step in receiving proper care for your ears and hearing.